I woke up Monday morning with a horrible pain in my neck, on the left side. Figuring I'd just slept wrong, I just popped some ibuprofen and went about my day. However, it was just bothering me all day. The ibuprofen didn't really help much.
That night, I woke up at 2:30am and it hurt so bad I couldn't go back to sleep. I knew I'd be calling the chiropractor that morning! So, I called him and got right in. He adjusted me and then felt around my neck. He said it was the 'tightest' he'd ever seen. Bad muscle spasm. He hooked me up to the electrical stim machine and then did a lot of massage therapy on it, trying to work on the range of motion.
When I left it still hurt, but seemed much better. He told me to work all day on just trying to move it around. He got it to loosen up, but wanted to work on me getting the range of motion back.
So, I spent the day trying to get through it. I stretched, iced it, took ibuprofen, but it just wasn't cutting it. The pain was so intense. So, I finally made the decision it was time to head to Urgent Care, and deal with it, because I knew I wouldn't get any sleep with as much pain as I was in.
Went to Urgent care about 7pm, only to find out there was a 40-45 minute wait. I have to say I hate when places are called 'urgent care' and you still have to wait almost an hour to be seen! So, I sat in the waiting room and fought back tears the entire time. The pain was excruciating.
Finally, they called my name and I went back to a room. The nurse took my blood pressure and it was 163/103! She says, "Uh, that' really high, you must be in a lot of pain! I will get the doctor in her immediately."
It was then I could fight the pain no more, and I started sobbing. Pretty soon a medical student comes in and then the doctor. They order xrays and I go have them done. I am feeling like I'm going to pass out because it hurts so bad. Never have I had pain like this!
The xrays came back 'fine', however, my neck was straight up and down, not curved, on the xray which the doctor said showed him just how tight my neck was.
He ended up ordering me two shots - one of morphine and one muscle relaxer. The nurse came in and gave me the shots....and within a couple minutes I thought I was going to throw up. I broke out in a cold sweat and they made me lie down on the table. They put cold packs on my forehead and chest. I laid there with tears rolling down my face. It was so awful.
Finally, the nausea subsided and I was sent on my way with 3 prescriptions in hand. One for pain, one muscle relaxer, and an anti-inflammatory.
Started taking those before bed and in the middle of the night I was up throwing up. Then came morning and took them again and I threw up again. SO AWFUL!!!!! I just sat in the bathroom bawling. If I couldn't keep the meds down, then the pain wouldn't go away, and I couldn't sleep. Ugh.
Finally, early this morning I thought of my brother-in-law, Mark. He's a nurse anethesist and really good at what he does. He knows drugs! :) So, I called him up, told him the story, and asked him what I should do. He gave me a different way to structure the drugs so it wouldn't be so hard on my stomach
Been doing that all day......and been in bed all day.......and I am finally getting on top it. It still hurts, but it's tolerable and I can function upright for a bit! And, there's no more throwing up.
Whew!!!!!! I NEVER want to go through that again. The pain was so intense!
1 comment:
I am so sorry to hear about the pain that you were having. I had a similar thing happen to me on the day of Emma's birthday party last year. the doc thought I may have had Cancer. But it was not. Thank the Lord! But I am so glad that you are feeling better now.
Post a Comment