Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day!

Today marked a new experience for me.....I got out and voted. Well, that's not the new experience as I've always voted, but the part of the experience that was new is this...

I did so at 5:20am!!!!

Well, I guess I didn't actually VOTE at 5:20am, but rather was standing in line, freezing my rear off at 5:20am! LOL The polls opened at 6am, so Steve and I decided to just go early and get it done. Steve wanted to go at 5:20am, which I thought was ridiculously early; however, I soon found out he was right! :) We got there and were the 4th and 5th persons in line! Wow! I had no idea people would be standing in line 40 minutes early at that hour of the morning!

I also had no idea how cold it would be -- I'm usually up and out the door at that time, but I'm off to the gym with the heater on and then I just run into the gym and start working out. So, today I threw on jeans and a sweatshirt and just grabbed my flip flops. Hmmm....wasn't thinking, obviously! My feet were freezing!!!!!!!!! LOL

So, we stood there for 40 minutes before the door opened. In that time, we talked and talked and met the people around us. We had an interesting conversation with the woman in front of us. She was very kind and in talking to her, we began to ask about her family and such, only to find out that her 4 year old daughter passed away from cancer on September 30th! Wow -- I didn't hardly know what to say. My heart ached for her. She said she had been diagnosed in May and passed away the end of September. I can't even begin to imagine the heart ache. I was dumbfounded. I mean, here we just came to vote and find out the lady in front of us just recently lost her daughter to cancer. So sad. We also found out she lives just about 6 houses down the street from us! You just never know what your neighbors are going through, huh?

Anyway -- by the time the doors opened at 6am, there was already a long line. I'm so glad my husband had the wisdom to go early! We showed them our ID and it was time to vote. The machines here are so new! So high-tech and touch-screen. I don't know if it's like that everywhere, but it was so interesting. You put your little voter card in and then the touch-screen stuff begins. Then you take your card out, hand it to the lady and you get a sticker saying you'd voted. My, how times have changed from the old, huge machine I first voted in! :)

So.....I've done my 'duty' today. I make no apologies for being a McCain/Palin 'fan' and voting for them. While I'll be honest and say I don't agree with everything -- to me, the alternative of having Barack/Biden in the White House is just too scarey for me. His stance on abortion totally disturbs me and I do truly believe we'd be moving more of a 'socialistic' society. I pray for mercy for our country in this election! Either way -- our country is in need of major change. Our hearts need to be turned back to the Truth -- to the Lord. We are NOTHING if we do not give Him His rightful place in this country!

So........if you haven't voted yet -- make sure to do so! It is such a privilege to be able to do this when many in other countries don't have the opportunity!

Oh, and guess what? There's extra privileges here in KC, and maybe elsewhere in the country:

If you have your "I Voted" sticker on, today you can get:

- A free donut at Krispy Kreme Doughnuts
- Free coffee at Starbucks
- Free chicken sandwich at Chik-Fil-A
- Free ice cream at Ben & Jerry's

Brennan doesn't have school today and is thinking we need to make the 'food rounds' and gobble up all those goodies! LOL

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm heading out in a bit to vote for McCain too. I TOTALLY agree w/your feelings about the other guy. Yikes!

I'm praying hard...as I have been for weeks!

Anonymous said...

I'm heading out in a bit to vote for McCain too. I TOTALLY agree w/your feelings about the other guy. Yikes!

I'm praying hard...as I have been for weeks!

Dena said...

Try being the nephew of a Senator avidly campaigning for B/B or being the wife of that Nephew. Makes family get together interesting sitting around listening to all of them. Interesting, sad, and scary.