Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Election

Well...the country has spoken and we have a new President-Elect, Barack Obama. Wow. On one hand I'm not all that surprised, and on the other hand, I'm speechless. I fear that this race became more about race and the desire for 'change' and to have a man of color in the WhiteHouse, than on principle and the realities that we face. Last night, all the networks were commenting on his race and on him being the 'fulfillment' of Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream". I can't help but wonder what MLK's thoughts would have been on this. Sure, it's historic in the sense that a black man has won the highest office in the land -- great. However, does Obama really have the same ideals as MLK....I really don't think so!

My heart is very sober this morning -- to think that we've just elected a man who does not even uphold the sanctity of life, who does not really even believe in the constitution, etc. etc. etc. Some how all those issues got pushed aside for 'change', for 'race'.

We are in difficult times as a country -- and I'm not really even talking about the economy, or the war. Sure those are issues, but rather we are in difficult times because our hearts have turned away from the Lord. We are so far from where we were when our country was founded. When we choose to not follow our Creator, we make ourselves very vulnerable.

My only hope, at the moment, is this:

Daniel 2:21 — “It is He [the God of heaven]…who removes kings and establishes kings.”

I now turn my attention to praying for the "King" -- our new President Elect, Barrack Obama. I pray for a 'Damascus Road' experience, just like with Saul.

1 comment:

The Naths said...

Well said.....That is exactly what my heart is feeling today, but couldn't quite put it into words yet. When Lance and I were watching last night on CNN and they did an interview with MLK's daughter who was at some church rally, Lance noticed a guy to the left that was shaking his fist and saying "black power." That makes me nervous. It isn't about one race having "power" over another. I just feel ill, but remember what I have been telling myself over and over....God is bigger than this country or its government. He is still in control. I am with you and pray for the heart of the new president elect.