Thursday, October 9, 2008

Thanksgiving

Well, I've gone and done it -- went out on a limb......a BIG LIMB........Tree Frog

What was I thinking? Not sure, but I've done it now.......Scared 1

I've invited Steve's family here for Thanksgiving!!!!!!!! LOL Yep, tis true -- me, the woman who has plenty of 'cooking blunders' under her belt!

Steve thinks I'm out on a big limb and he hopes it doesn't break! LOL When I told him what I'd done, you should have seen his eyes -- I thought they were going to pop out of his head! LOL I could tell he was trying to be so nice, but you could also see the look of shock and concern on his face! I just laughed and was like, "Well, the way I figure it -- if anything goes wrong -- we live in the city.....we could always order pizza! Who says it has to be 'traditional'?!" I was kidding, but again -- I wish you could have seen the look on his face! LOL But, he's a trooper and quickly rebounded and was like, "Uh...ok...let's try it."

So......for Thanksgiving, we'll have Steve's parents, Duane and Rebecca; Steve's teenage brother, Paul; Steve's brother Mark, his very pregnant wife Megan, and their four children, ages 10 and under. Plus, the four of us. I've also invited my parents, but am not sure if they'll be able to come down or not.

Anyway..........I'm really excited about this, as I've never hosted a family dinner quite like this, and I want to have yummy food, but also don't want it to be stressful. I want to have fun activities for the kids to do -- ya' know, all that fun hospitality stuff.Turkey

So.........I'm turning to you readers...........any thoughts/ideas/comments? (Other than take-out?!)

I'd love to hear any thoughts you might have!Happy Thanksgiving

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say... I snorted out loud. Sorry about that. Remember the rock candy incident???

Anyway...make THIS recipe. It's SO divine, I got it from GS's sister and it's SO insanely yummy! AND you can make it the day before and stick it in the fridge until you take the turkey out of the oven and then pop it in for 30 minutes when you cook the green bean casserole while your turkey's 'resting'. :)

Sweet Potato Casserole
2 big cans sweet potatoes, mashed
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 1/4 c. milk
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Mix and put into greased 9X13 pan.

Topping:
3T. melted butter
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. self rising flour
1 c. chopped pecans

Mix topping ingredients w/your fingers until it's blended and crumbly. Dump evenly on top of casserole and swirl into potato mixture with a knife to partially mix. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.

The Naths said...

Wow! I feel ya! I have heard (from your mom) that turkey is not hard to cook at all. She said just follow the direction on the package. I would also say that you only need to provide the meat, mashed potatoes, yams, dinner rolls or other bread, and a vegetable, and ask everyone else to bring a side or a desert. You could also get those frozen pies...You can't screw those up and they taste good. =) You should also provide the drinks I guess, but really, don't most families pot-luck it these days??? As far as the kids go, I wouldn't stress about that at all. You guys have video games and other stuff the boys have....Kids make their own fun. Don't stress out about what they will do. Anyway...those are my thoughts.

Dena said...

Trust your big sister when I tell you to trust mom that cooking a turkey isn't hard at all. Seriously, get one of those bags you cook it in and it's easy peasy. If I can do it...anyone can!

Well, the way I figure it -- if anything goes wrong -- we live in the city.....we could always order pizza!

This comment above made me laugh. Yea, we are soooooo related! LOL