Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Hamsters

Well, Brennan has found a new 'obsession' -- Hamsters! Yep, that's right -- hamsters! He seems to think he 'needs' a hamster and that would be the perfect pet for him. At first, I thought it was just a phase, but Brennan is the type of boy that when he latches on to something, he will NOT let go -- he's a 'one track' kid (hmmm....wonder who he gets that from?! lol).

So, yesterday we went to the library and what does he do? Checks out 4 books on hamsters.

Mind you -- I've never once said he could get one!

And, for the past 48 hours all I've heard is about hamsters...

"Mom, guess what a hamster likes to eat....."

"Mom, did you know that a hamster is really neat and organized?"

"Mom, the best type of housing for a hamster is an aquarium, because....."

He literally sat in his room for almost 2 hours reading about hamsters and writing all sorts of notes. He's totally consumed with this hamster thing! He is convinced this would be the perfect pet for our household!

While me, on the other hand, am convinced it would not be the perfect pet:

a) No! I do not want something that resembles a mouse or rat in our house. Ewwww!

b) No! I remember my older sister having a gerbil and it biting her finger and not wanting to let go. Oh the horror!

And a myriad of other reasons.

Well, he's not phased. He's just sure he'll 'wear me down', even though I've assured him I can't be moved. Now, if his Dad decides to override me then there's nothing I can do about that, I guess, but if it's up to me -- NO WAY!

But, he's so funny -- I'm figuring him out more and more each day. First he started telling me all about hamsters and ASKING me about IF he could get one and was just dispensing information. But, he's slowly been trying to slip things in there and make it much more personal like, "WHEN I have a hamster...." as if he is going to have one. Or, "Mom, do you realize a hamster's most active time of the day is 7pm - 11pm. That's perfect because I'll be in school all day and then can play with him at night."

I've been pointing this out to him and he just smiles -- "Mom, I WILL have one one day...it's the perfect pet for me!" and I'm like, "Yeah, maybe when you're 18 and move out of the house." lol

So, we've been going back and forth about this hamster thing. It's all been done respectfully and playfully, so we've had a good time giving each other a hard time about it. But, let me tell you -- I know way more about hamsters now than I ever hoped to know.

For example....did anyone else know that hamsters seem to like to poop and then eat their poop? Uh hello.......did I really want or need to know that? No. But, my dear son was so proud to tell me that because "hamsters get twice the amount of protein, Mom -- so they're a healthy pet to have and don't eat as much that way!"

LOLHamster

Edited to add: Steve is working out of town this week and he and Brennan just got off the phone. Brennan told him ALL about hamsters and says "Dad agreed this would be perfect for me!" Hmmmmmm........seems that Steve and I need to have a chat when he gets home Thursday! lol :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to have hamsters. Mine never ate their poop. It just collected in the corner of the cage until I cleaned their cage.

My girls want hamsters too. I agree with you! It's a RODENT! Eeek! Yes, they're cute and soft but it's still a rodent!

Mine were active WAAAY past 11 pm--like 2 am they'd still be running running running in their little wheels. :P

Anonymous said...

NOOOOOOOOOO-THANK YOU........
They DO smell - I agree......They
require more care than one thinks.
NOOOOOOOOOO-THANK YOU........