Thursday, August 14, 2008

1st day of School -- for Nate :)

Well......he's off! Backpack

Yep, Nate is now officially off for his first day of school as a 6th grader! Wow -- did I just say that? SIXTH GRADE?! How in the world did that happen? It's one thing to have your first child enter 6th grade, that's bad enough -- but now my 'baby' is in 6th grade?! Seems impossible that he's old enough! But, tis true.

He was up at 6:40am sharp and ready by 7:10am with everything and then says, "Uh, Mom....what am I supposed to do until I can leave for school at 7:45am?" I just laughed and was like, "Yep -- I wondered what you were going to do for so long when you got up so early! Sleep in tomorrow, will ya'?" lol

I'm really excited for him to have a good school year ahead, but this morning my heart had 'pangs' of sadness....he truly is growing up and there's not a single thing I can do about it! :( I'm glad he's growing up, of course, but my mama's heart is sad that my little boy is not so little anymore. Time seems to be passing so quickly. In the past 24 hours, I really could tell how much Nate's grown recently.

Brennan was always the 'out front', 'go with gusto' type kid, doing things earlier and growing up so quickly. He was independent from the beginning, it seemed, and so although it was hard to let go, it was easy in one sense, because he'd always been that way.

But, with Nate...he's been more of a 'Mama's boy'. The cuddliest kid I know and just enjoyed being a 'little boy' and stuff. And, yet he's definitely 'all boy', wanting to be rough and tumble with his Dad and brother. But, he loved to 'snuggle' with Mom and share his heart, etc. Well, he still likes to snuggle, but he's definitely becoming more independent.

This morning he informs me that he had a rough night. And, I was like, "Really? Why, what happened?" So, he goes on to tell me that he woke up with a bloody nose in the middle of the night for some reason. He said he ended up getting some kleenex, keeping his nose up, and just waiting in his bed with kleenex on his nose till the bleeding stopped. I was shocked! I said, "Nate, why didn't you come get me? I would have helped you." And he just smiles, "Mom, I'm growing up. I just kinda wanted to do it on my own, ya' know?" :) Awwwww...

Then, about 7:15am this morning he says, "Mom, are you going to wake Brennan up? He's not up yet!" And, I was like, "Well, Brennan doesn't have school, so I was going to let him sleep in." And, Nate looks at me, "Mom! Brennan said he'd take me to school. He has to get up!"

I was shocked! I said, "Uh....does that mean you don't want ME taking you to school?" lol

He smiles and kinda sheepishly looks at me and says, "Well.......nothing against you Mom, but it's just not 'cool' to have your Mom take you to school in 6th grade, ya' know? It's a bit more cool to have your brother walk with you. Is that ok?"

I just laughed and went and woke Brennan up, who was more than happy to take his little brother to school. :) I remember when Bren did the same thing, but in 5th grade. He did not want me dropping him off, but wanted to walk all by himself to school. I remember I cried! But, this time around, I knew it would be coming eventually. So, I just yielded to the inevitable growing up. And, it was pretty sweet to see Bren and Nate head out the door, along with Chester, of course. I love that Bren and Nate are 'buddies' and want to be together (most of the time! lol).

When Brennan got home, I asked him how things went and he says, "Uh, I think he's just a bit excited! He would not stop talking all the way to the school! He just jabbered and jabbered!" lol

So.........there's the run down of our first morning of school for Nate. I'm sure he'll have lots to tell me when he gets home! And, now I'm off to spend a bit more time with Brennan.......we got one more week before he's off to school, and I want to enjoy every moment! :)

1 comment:

Tracie said...

Hamster have a short life span.
Hamsters get sick easily.
Hamsters stink.

I'm on your side!

You'll have to ask some time about my nieces hamster funeral!