Thursday, January 24, 2008

An Open Letter to My Mother

This week marks the 35th Anniversary of the tragedy of the legalization of abortion in America, and my heart aches with pain at what we as a nation have become that we no longer value life. It saddens me that we simply talk about a fetus as if they're not human. That we extol a woman's "right" over a child's life. But, rather than just talk about how horrible abortion is and the awful effects of it upon our society, I wanted to write an open letter to my Mother, honoring her for valuing my life and giving way to my very existence.


Dear Mom,

As I woke up this morning, my heart is so full of gratefulness to you. This week marks the 35th Anniversary of the Roe V. Wade decision legalizing the practice of abortion and the murdering of innocent babies in America. And, yet this week also marks something else -- it was about 35 years ago that God chose to form me in your womb.

I have heard several times throughout my life how I wasn't "planned". How you and Dad were content with already having one son and daughter, and how your marriage was 'rocky' at best. I was totally an 'oops' and surprised you! I know the difficult circumstances you were in when I was conceived. I know it wasn't convenient' for you to be pregnant again. I'm sure you had all kinds of amazing feelings and wondered how another child would fit into things. I'm sure it was overwhelming and maybe even a little disappointing to be pregnant again. Knowing the circumstances you were in, I think any woman may have felt that way, too.

That said -- you made a decision to choose life and have me. Maybe there seemed like no other alternative to you, given your christian faith; however, the reality is -- abortion was legalized when you were only about a month pregnant. You could have easily slipped into a hospital or clinic and taken away my very life. It was legal, you could have chosen the 'easy' way out and simply had two children.

But, you didn't -- you chose to have me. To give me life. And, I write this open letter to you to honor you. I want to honor you for choosing to have me, to give me life....even though it 'complicated' your life more than you may have wanted at that time. :)

Even though I have grown up knowing I was an 'ooops' baby, I have always felt loved, valued, and I've always felt that you didn't regret having me. I honor you for that.

I am just overwhelmed with the reality that the year I was born, I could have just as easily been aborted. I am so grateful that you chose to give me life. I am so grateful that I was born. I am grateful that my husband has a wife, my children have a mother, and that my friends have a friend. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be born and walk in the destiny that God has laid out for me. He planned me and knew when I'd be born, but you had the choice of whether to give me life or not and you did! Thank you!

Thank you for wanting me, choosing me, loving me. I honor your courage, your sacrifice, and your willingness to give me life!!!

I love you Mom and deeply respect you!
Debi

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great letter! Sniff....


From one "oops!" baby to another.....

Lyndi said...

A couple of things, first:
I read your comment about your 1st walgreens experience on moneysavingmom and had to comment on it (just so you know where i found you and that i'm not a stocker:) ) Congratulations on your new endeavor into couponing! I had to laugh at your comments, b/c it's pretty much exactly the same for my coworker and I, Those feelings are sooo typical! :) we have been couponing since about october and we have so much fun finding all the deals, so don't worry if you dont get every deal now, you will in time:)

2nd, what a beautiful letter to you mother. That was very sweet.
Lyndi:)

Lyndi said...

Ok so i just posted a comment and then noticed you were from ankeny IA. I went to Faith Baptist Bible College there my 1st year out of high school!