Thursday, January 10, 2008

Lots going on this week

This has been a week full of 'happenings'....

*Steve's brother, Mark and his wife, Megan, and their four children are moving out of their home here in Lenexa this week. They'll be staying with Megan's parents in Overland Park for a couple weeks before their move to Kentucky. So, the other day I watched the three oldest: Madelynne, Marie, & Charlie for the day. We had a great time together. It's been really fun to be around them more the past 5 months and get to know each of their unique personalities. We did a lot of baking and just hanging out and having fun together. I'm going to miss them when they move! I know they'll grow up so quickly and I'm sad we won't get to see it as much anymore! :( Then, Steve's Dad came in to help them that same day, so that night we had the entire clan here for supper: scalloped ham and potatoes, rolls, peas, salad, brownies & ice cream. Yum. We had a great time all together!!! We are so going to miss them when they move!

*Tonight we're having some friends of ours' over for supper. Bob and Ginny. They live in Iowa, but Bob has been commuting and working here in KC throughout the week, while Ginny and their kids have been in Iowa. So, this week Ginny came to hang out here for the week. It'll be good to see them again and have supper and fellowship together tonight. :) IOWA FRIENDS -- yipeeeeeeee! :)


*And update on my medical 'issues': Met with my new doctor again this week. He is amazing and I am so grateful to the Lord for allowing our paths to cross! :) We reviewed my blood work from 2 weeks ago and compared it to bloodwork done 6 weeks before that. And, here's the basic conclusions: I DO have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). Which ultimately means I get to learn to eat low-carb, because my body has too much insulin roaming around and doesn't metabolize carbohydrates well at all. I also have HYPOTHYROIDISM. My number jumped almost a full point. This diagnosis explains soooooooooooooooo many things from extreme fatigue to feeling cold all the time. And, finally -- I have the hormonal profile of a post-menopausal woman! :) My estrogen level is 76 and it should be 200-220! YIKES! He's not surprised that I'm forgettful and have 'foggy thinking' -- he said estrogen supports brain function! And, here all this time I thought it was just because I was blonde!!!! LOL He said the thyroid controls every cellular function in the body and this is all connected. Unlike the Endocrinologist, he doesn't believe we need to focus on the pituitary gland, but that if we can get the thyroid jumpstarted, the hormones balanced then we'll be on the road to recovery. He said I won't be able to lose weight until we get these balanced, but if I'll do my part with the workouts and eating low-carb, then he'll do his with the medicines and I should feel completely different in about 4-6 weeks. He thinks I'll only have to do this for awhile and if my body responds as he thinks it will, then I'll be able to go completely off the medicine altogether!!! YEAH! He said; however, I do need to realize I have a genetic endocrine disorder that won't 'go away', but it is controllable. He said that right now I just need a lot of extra support or I'll never get back to 'normal'. :)

It's hard to describe, but I can't hardly tell you how excited I was at his diagnosis! I know it seems weird to be 'glad' of having those diagnosis, but I am!! For so long I've struggled with this or that and then just finally the past few months, everything crashes and I have NO idea why. I've had my thyroid checked probably 3x in the past 5-10 years and the doctor would say 'it's normal'. I've been to doctors over the years and had ultrasounds, all to no avail and no conclusion. Sooooooo frustrating. But, I've always been able to manage all the symptoms I've had.....until recently when my body crashed and I couldn't manage it anymore. Now that I KNOW what's been wrong, I can take steps to correct it and give my body what it needs. I felt so validated and like I wasn't completely 'crazy'! Everything makes so much sense now! This doctor explained EVERYTHING and I was so grateful. He's such a kind, caring, patient man. He's a Christian and tries to be as 'natural' as possible with his medicinal approach.

So, now I'm on thyroid medicine and I'm going to start an estrogen replacement hormone this weekend. It's a bioidentical hormone that's being compounded specifically for me at a local pharmacy. I can't wait to feel 'normal' again!!!! The last few days I've struggled with being EXTREMELY FATIGUED again, so I'm really looking forward to straightening my body out and feeling energized all the time! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad they found out what's going on with you! :D