It amazes me how the emotions of moving come in waves and can change from day to day. The past week, or so, but especially the last few days, my heart has been aching for 'home' again. By 'home', I mean 'Iowa'. Sometimes things here seem so normal and this feels like 'home' and then other days, nothing here seems normal. I wonder if I'll ever feel like I really 'fit'. It's such a wierd thing to walk through.
I'm at a place right now where I'm missing everyone and everything back in Iowa. I miss my family, my friends, our church, my gym. I'm longing for friendships here, real relationships. There's a lot of people I've gotten to know on a 'superficial' basis and I'd call them 'acquaintances', but I'm longing for true friendships. I had such deep relationships in Iowa, and I still keep in touch with people, but it's not the same. I'm longing for that here. But, it seems so much harder and like it takes so much longer. I hate 'starting over'.
We've just passed the 5 month mark of our move to KC and I feel stuck between two realities. The reality of what I've known for so long back in Iowa, that I'm no longer a part of, but places that still hold such parts of my heart. And, then the reality of moving to KC and that this is permanant and not temporary. There's a hope in my heart that there is more to this all than what we've experienced thus far, and yet we're not there yet. Sometimes my heart grows so weary in the waiting. So, my heart is suspended inbetween the two -- not really sure of anything. I'm not in Iowa, yet I'm not really planted here yet, either.
It was weird to not be with my family for Christmas at all this year, too. Not even seeing them since Thanksgiving. Then, my gym friends - ones that are off during Christmas break and we'd always see each other and this year I didn't get to see any of them. I missed that. Then, I had a dear friend stay at our home with her family while we were away and yet I didn't get to see her at all either.
Some times the ache and the loneliness here is so strong. Right now, my heart feels so lonely and I wonder when this will truly feel like home and I won't long for Iowa anymore? It's better than in the beginning, but there's another part of me that feels like the longer we're away, the MORE I miss it. It's so wierd.
So, I'm casting my heart upon the One who truly understands. Who has known loneliness and pain and I'm trusting Him to faithfully carry my heart as He gently walks me through this transition process and strenghens my heart for this journey He has us on.
3 comments:
I feel your pain.
When we leave behind the only home we've known for destinations unknown the excitement of the adventure that awaits only lasts for so long. Then we get hit with not knowing anyone, not knowing where to go for X or what doctor to go to or who to call if you need X and ugh...it hits ya. Hard.
I'm still walking this road too and I'm trying hard to lean hard on Jesus too. Even when I'm feeling so insanely lonely, I remember that goofy Okoboji chorus, "I will never forget you, I will never forsake you, I will never forget you, I will never forsake you." (was there more to that song???)
Anyway.. (((HUGS))) for you. I'll pray for you and you can pray for me.
AAGGGHHHHHH
I blogged almost the same thing! It's been 5 months for us too! I feel like I'm floating between two cities. One where all my family, friends and community is...but no home to call my own...and another city that has my home and all my stuff, but none of the other things.
THIS IS SO HARD! I don't like starting over! It sucks. I wonder if I'll ever feel "home" here...
I get you, Debbie.....I totally get you...
Having been where you are - I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND. My heart is where you are and your past will always be a part of you and who you have become through this process. There are many acquaintances out there but very few true friends - when you find one hang on - we all need a special person(s) (besides our hubbys) and soon they can be gone too. You have such special gifts and know you will get through this - one step at a time, one day at a time with the power of your prayers and others. M
Post a Comment