This morning I was really thankful for the schools our boys are in this year. Moving to a new area, we'd initially heard about a private school about 20 minutes away that we really wanted to get our boys into; however, by the time we found out about it, they were already full for the year. We were so bummed. However, we knew God had a plan for our boys (obviously!), so began to try to figure out what that was. We were pretty confident we weren't to homeschool, but we contemplated private schools in the area. But, nothing just 'stuck' and so we went with the public schools.
In Iowa, the boys had been in private school for 3 years; however, had most recently been in the public school system. We were not overly impressed with the middle school; however, things were good overall. Academically it was a very good school.
So, in coming to the KC area and deciding to put them in public schools, we were a bit nervous (me, more than Steve! LOL). Things are just different -- huge and in such a new, diverse area. They do 'lockdown drills' here, which we never did in Ankeny! LOL At first, it was overwhelming and I cried several days just so unsure if we'd made the right decision, etc.
However, this morning I was just thinking about how well the boys are doing in their new schools and am so grateful that God directed our paths from where to live and where to have them in school, etc. They've both doing so well academically and socially. They've 'fit right in' and have made friends.
In such a large, metropolitan area, I'm really impressed with the teachers and the whole school system in general. Sure, there are things that irritate me (like the fact that the middle school and elementary school are on totally different schedules, which can make for a scheduling nightmare at times!), but I've been really impressed with a lot of things.
For Brennan, at the middle school, the desire for parental involvement, with their obtaining parental permission for things that would have just been 'normal' in Ankeny. The teachers are easily accessible and really want open communication with us as parents. They're encouraging and helpful. They don't have the silly 'socials' that Ankeny used to have all the time. They've been so 'upfront' about everything. Their administrative skills could use some help, but overall I've been very impressed with their communication with parents and with the level of academic difficulty. He has the opportunity to be involved with lots of intramurals, without feeling the 'pressure' to be sports-perfect, like in Ankeny. There's a lot of opportunity for him to bloom and blossom creatively, too. Brennan has integrated well and likes it there. I was especially nervous about him entering 7th grade in a whole new school system, but he's doing really well and adjusting.
For Nate, I've been really thankful for the elementary school he attends. He has a wonderful teacher! She's so good for him: challenging yet so encouraging and creative! He loves being in her class. I love it that she sees and recognizes his weaknesses (lack of organization!), but rather than focusing on them, she works to help him overcome them and focuses on his strengths and motivates him in a unique, cheerful, encouraging way. She's been great! He also likes the other kids a lot more than in Iowa. He said they're so much more 'kinder' and willing to do things besides JUST play sports. Ankeny is a HUGE sports town and that's really about ALL there is to it in the schools, so it's been nice for him to be able to do fun extra activities like chess club and debate club -- things not available in Ankeny. And, I love it in the morning when I drop him off -- the 6th graders are on 'safety patrol' and come up to the car door, open the door for him, let him out and then close the door as they say to ME, "Have a great day!" with a huge smile. It's so sweet. And, the principal is ALWAYS outside greeting the kids in the morning and saying good-bye to them after school -- no matter the weather, he's out there with the kids. The boys laugh, because that would have NEVER happened in Ankeny!
So, anyway -- while they have their faults and weaknesses that I could share, this morning my heart is thankful for the strengths of the school system their in. And not just the school system, but their particular schools. God knew what they'd need and I'm so grateful to be able to trust Him. I have no idea what next year will bring and whether we'll keep them there or do something different -- each year is a 'trusting God' to lead us, but for this year -- I'm grateful He's put them right where they should be. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment