Thursday, October 18, 2007

Scary Night!

We didn't get much sleep last night around here! Nate kinda freaked us out! Yesterday afternoon, after coming home from school, he was covered in a rash on his arms/torso. Part of it was huge hives and it looked like he was having an allergic reaction to something, but he acted totally normal, just said he was really itchy so I wasn't too concerned. Steve has some prescription lotion from the doctor for whenever he develops this rash on his arms (we think he's allergic to tomatoes! LOL). So, I used the lotion to help relieve the itching. Honestly, I didn't think too much about it, because nothing seemed out of the 'usual' to his normal routine. He'd had a bad cold Monday/Tuesday, but had seemed a lot better Wednesday, so I thought possibly it was just from that. I wasn't sure.

Then last night, we had a busy night and I was gone and come home to him even more broke out. Actually, where I'd put the cream was fine, but now his upper lip was swollen and his face was red, his hands were red, and he had huge splothes/hives on his thighs and back. I was much more concerned by this point. Steve called his brother (good ole Uncle Mark who's a professional in the medical field!) and he said to get him some Benadryl and watch him carefully. So, I ran to the store and got him some liquid Benadryl and put more lotion all over him. Poor kid, he looked horrible, but acted normal.

In discussing his day further, we realized the only thing different was that he'd had ALMOND BUTTER on his sandwich for lunch rather than normal Simply Jif peanut butter. I had wanted to switch the boys over to natural peanut butter and had bought a new almond butter that had a better texture, so tried it. Well......he hated it, so only ate a few bites (LOL -- THANKFULLY!), but we're pretty sure that's the culprit. I guess I didn't realize that he could be fine with peanut butter, but not with almonds!

Anyway.......I watched him CAREFULLY until about 1am........and the Benadryl seemed to be working and the rash went away and his lip returned to normal. So, I finally went to bed, but it was a pretty scary evening and we weren't sure what to do.

Come to find out, it could have been a lot more serious as nut allergies are nothing to mess around with! So, today I'm getting an appt. with an allergy doctor to try to pinpoint if it's just the almonds or what. This could make for an interesting 'adventure' for our family.....I'm just so thankful God took care of Nate last night!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Debi - Good job tracking down what might have been the problem. The deal with peanuts is that they are not nuts! They are legumes (like peas). Most people don't know that. So his allergic reaction could be the same to cashews, walnuts etc. My husband is allergic to nuts, chocolate, cheese, coconuts, avocados but not to peanuts or peanut butter. Interesting, eh? I hope the little guy is better and you can track down exactly what he is allergic to.
Great job, mom Debi! akz

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I hope the allergy tests give you an answer!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear he better this morning and maybe tonight you can all get some sleep!!
M

Dena said...

Great job on being so observant and keeping on top of things. Give Nathan a big hug from us! Hope you find out soon what it is specifically. My MIL is deathly allergic to nuts, so I know how scary it can get.