Thursday, August 16, 2007

First Day of School

Today is the boys' first day of school! :-) Here are some photos we took this morning before they went.
Nate, with his backpack.


Brennan, looking way too grown up! :-)


Both boys together

Nate was soooooooooooo nervous when he got up and ate little, but by the time I dropped him off, he was smiling and in a great mood, excited to begin! I was so happy with the school this morning -- they did the first day up right! We get there and there are about 10 Lenexa police officers welcoming the kids to school and opening the car doors for them, telling them to have a great first day, etc. American flags lining the drive. The 'fire dog' or whatever he's called, was there waving to all the kids. It was just kinda 'neat' and of course for Nate, who wants to go to the Police Academy, when he grows up -- having a police officer open the door and welcome him -- that was just too cool. He loved it! :-)

As for Brennan -- the morning was a bit more rough. He was all excited when he got up, wasn't nervous, ate a huge breakfast. Great. Then, we drop Nate off and he and I sit in the car at the bus stop by our house. Pretty soon we see one kid show up, so he gets out of the car, and I tell him I'll wait till he leaves. After awhile 3 more kids show up, and they obviously know each other and start chatting. They speak to Brennan, but he is obviously nervous and doesn't know them. After a minute or two, he comes back to the car, and I can tell he's fighting tears. :( He asked for money, "just in case" there was an error and no money was in his lunch account. (LOL) So, I give him a few dollars and as he starts to walk back to the stop, he turns around and comes back and says, "Mom, I just want you to take me. I don't know any of those kids." So, I of course said I would -- no problem.

We drive to the school, which takes about 10 minutes and actually there was NO problem with traffic, surprisingly. The whole way there he's SILENT, except for saying, "This sure isn't Ankeny." and a few tears trickle out the side of his eyes. By this point, my Mom's heart is breaking for my son, knowing this is so hard for him. He was such a popular kid with many, many friends at Ankeny and well liked -- this is difficult to 'start over', knowing no one. But, we get there and he 'pulls it together' and seems fine as he gets out and walks into the school.

Then.........I drive home bawling! LOL I'm having to learn a new, deeper level of trusting God -- not just with my own heart here, but with the boys, too. This is all so new for us here in Lenexa. We've never had to start COMPLETELY over. Even when we've moved before, there's always been a 'constant', but now we are completely starting over -- no church yet, no gym yet, and no friends. Thankfully, we do have some family closeby -- for which I am truly grateful! But, it's gonna take awhile to 'adjust'.

In the book of Song of Solomon in the bible, it's a picture of our relationship with Jesus. And, it says that His head is 'as pure gold', meaning that His 'headship' or His 'leadership' is perfect. This is something I'm continually reminding my heart of -- I can trust His leadership over our lives. I can trust that He knows our needs and He will meet us in the middle of it all. Even when my weak little heart is overwhelmed or feels like 'fainting', He remains strong, firm, and steadfast and knows the perfect path for our family.

I trust Him to hold our hearts in His very strong, capable, and faithful hands -- His love, His faithfulness -- that is my hope!

No comments: