Saturday, December 6, 2008

Final Home Study

Yesterday we had our final home study with the State of Kansas. We've had two with our agency, but this was the 'big' one with the state. I was kind of nervous as you just never know what to expect when these people come into your home and just start looking at everything! LOL But, he was a very nice man and he was pretty general and thorough. :)

Basically, we're great, except we have to do a couple things: get a baby gate at the top of the stairs and get some sort of a gate so the child couldn't go UP the stairs, too - so we have to figure out how to gate things, but not a big deal. We figured we have to do that at some point, but our agency hadn't said anything, so we hadn't done anything yet.

The only other two things we need to do are: lock up all medications. We had them up high, but they have to actually be locked, so we just need to put a lock on the hallway closet.

The other thing is that Nate's airsoft gun has to now be under lock and key. This is a 'roll my eyes' one at my husband. Bless his heart -- my husband can be way too honest, even more so than me! LOL You see, I have gone through the other two home studies by myself, so I know that some things are better left unsaid. Not lying, but why give them any more information than they need to know? They're never going to be back to look through all my closets and drawers again! :P

Anyway -- the guy was asking if we have any guns or weapons. I responded, "No" - because we don't have any WEAPONS or REAL GUNS......and the guy marked the page "no". Great. Then all of a sudden, my wonderful husband pipes up, "Oh, wait a minute - our son has an airsoft gun." So, now Nate's gun has to be under lock and key! I understand the 'issue' but whenever we have little kids over, he doesn't ever get it out anyway, and it's a SMALL one.

Then, we go into our bathroom and the guy is asking about if any of my make-up has alcohol in it, or checking our hairspray, etc. to see if anything has alcohol on it, etc. I'm standing in front of our bathroom counter/sinks and nope - nothing has alcohol in it (after checking to make sure) and he says, "Anything else?" and I'm like, "nope - let's go downstairs" (thinking this), because honestly, knew how messy my cabinets were and I really didn't want him going through everything. LOL But, what does my dear husband do? He says, "Oh, wait a minute - let me look under the cabinets. Hmmm...just some vitamins and such." I'm glaring at him to be quiet -- I mean, I have some melatonin tablets under the sink and progesterone cream, and now those have to be locked up! And, then he says, "Oh, what about the air freshners -- are those safe?"

LOL -- by the time he left, I just laughed at Steve and said, "you are never allowed to come to a home study again because you give way too much information!" :) We had a good laugh and I am grateful I have an honest husband! :)

So, we have a few things to fix this weekend, then need to take a photo of our 'correction' and e-mail them to him and we'll be ALL DONE -- FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Wow, who would have thought that it'd have almost taken 10 months to be totally licensed?! :)

This morning we're going to a meeting for a new ministry here in KC with our church called, "The Orphan Justice Center". We're excited to find out more, and I'll probably be sharing more in the future. (www.orphanjusticecenter.wordpress.com)

4 comments:

Tracie said...

I'm so glad you're going to the OJC meeting. I was going to email you to make sure you connected with that, but you're already on it.

Let me know how it goes!

The Naths said...

WOW! I can't imagine strangers going through my private stuff like that! You ever wonder how we all survived? I mean, we never had those pluggy things in the outlets or our blind cords cut short or gates around the fire place or even a decent carseat! All the cleaners were under the sink when I was growing up, and yes, the meds were up high, but not locked up. Well, I am glad you are all done with all that. I'm excited to see what God has for you guys on this journey! =)

Dena said...

Steve's comments sound just like comments Jay would make. LOL

Congrats on FINALLY making it to the finish line (well, almost) :)

Somedays are Worth Remembering said...

That is too funny. I can just see Steve in the sweetest apologetic manner..."oh..what I think we do." That is so funny. Home studies are such a drag aren't they.:-)
KC