Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Body Blast

I've been wanting to try out some group exercise classes at the Y, but life has been busy, so it's just never gotten done. But, this week I decided I was tired of other things taking priority over my workout times. For me, it needs to be a priority to get to the gym, to workout, to keep my body as healthy as possible. And, I just haven't made that priority. With the move and then being 'sick' and not feeling well and then being out of shape and busy....it's just morphed into this 'mountain' that seems difficult to climb.

But, this week I decided I just need to 'do it'. The nice thing about the Y right now is that it's new, so the classes aren't full, everyone's new and doesn't hardly know each other, etc. So, it's a perfect time to jump in and see what happens.

So, last night Chrissy and I decided to go to the Body Blast class together. It's a strength training class done with a barbell, dumbbells, bands, etc. Not much cardio, mostly weights, but you do get some cardio with what you're doing with the weights.

It was fun, too, because Brennan went with us to the gym and wanted to just do one of the cardio machines while we did the class, but then he decided he wanted to try the class, too. So, we asked the instructor and she was totally fine with it, which was fun. It was so great to have him in there with me working out! We never did that in Iowa, so it was fun to do that here! Squats Poor kid, though, he was the only guy in the room! lol But, he did great and I was proud of him for trying it.

As for me -- I made it through, but am just a tad bit sore today! lol It's been awhile........

It felt so good to be back in a class, although, I must confess it made me miss my old classes back at FWW. This class was much more 'unorganized' and the instructor didn't make many mentions about form or anything, so that was a bit disappointing, as I ended up being the one making sure Brennan was lifting the weights right, etc., as the instructor didn't do anything to help him with that. She also did a few things that I was thankful I knew how to 'modify' as the way she was doing them could really result in some injuries for people. I am realizing just how 'spoiled' I was by working out with my old trainer, Cory, and having him for a group exercise instructor. He is such a great trainer/instructor and I learned so much by just watching him and the way he does things. He was so focused on form and was just a good leader. So, this experience down here has been 'interesting' to see some of the personal trainers and group instructors. But, rather than just be 'critical' of them, it's creating a new excitement/passion in me about getting back into training myself! And, even possibly considering doing some group classes. The Y does training every 3 months, so I'm thinking maybe in 3 months, I'll consider doing the group exercise class instructor training. :) But, overall, I was just glad to go and be with people and get a hard workout -- I think I just might have burned a few calories -- and I was sweating! Yahoooo! :)

Today I'm hoping to try out the Pilates class. I'm wanting to try a bunch of different ones and find out my favorites and go from there! :)

3 comments:

Tracie said...

Ok, so you just switched blogs and didn't tell! I'm not sure that's allowed. I finally figured it out after your comment on my blog today.

I had you in Google Reader, so I just figured you had quit blogging or got too busy for awhile.

Bummer! I'll try to catch up!

Debi said...

Hey Tracie! :) I'm glad you found me! :) I sent out an e-mail to everyone I knew that read my blog, but when I tried repeatedly to e-mail you, it came back as 'spam' or something like that. And, then I forgot about it and that you didn't know. Sorry! :) But, Steve didn't want all our last names and info. on here, so we just changed it. :) Enjoy reading again.....

Tracie said...

use my same name as the other email only at @gmail.com now, my ihop account is always giving me trouble!