Saturday, April 19, 2008

Training

Well, today I had an all day training at for the new YMCA here. It'll open on the 28th and life will be a bit crazy till then! LOL Today's training was 9am-4pm and then I have training Monday and Wednesday nights next week, plus I'm working at 2 different pre-sales sites next week, so......I'm getting thrown into the mix right away! Yikes!

But, after today I'm really looking forward to this -- totally nervous and overwhelmed with all there is to learn as a Membership Rep., but totally excited to be on the groundbreaking of this new center. It's an Express version of the YMCA, so it's totally different and everything will be new and crazy for awhile. BUT....the more I heard today the more excited I became to be a part of such a great organization.

The YMCA of Greater Kansas City is it's 'own' group of centers. They follow the National Y philosophy, but they're not corporately owned. Anyway, I loved what I was hearing as far as them being so family oriented and how focused they are on the members, and not on sales, etc. It's so different from what I've experienced thus far in KC with regard to gyms. But, what I was told today is what I've been finding out about the Y I've been a part of in Olathe for the past month or two.

I know this position will be challenging, but I will enjoy the people interaction. It was great to see the personal training studio and meet all the trainers and the training director. All the bosses and department heads seem like such great, approachable people. I love the personal training studio and that director seems awesome, too -- so when I decide to train again, I think that'll be a great environment, too!

Anyway.........thought I'd just tell ya' all that it was a crazy, long day, but it went great and I'm looking forward to this new experience! :)

OH..........and I have to share something really cool I learned today about the history of the YMCA here in KC. They were talking about how it was started in 1860 and all these interesting facts and just sharing about it and one I thought was so intriguing. Ya' know the Hallmark cards and stores? Well, they are originated out of KC. The founder, with the last name "Hall"......way back when....stayed at a Y in downtown KC. He lived at one of the residential ones, because he was basically homeless and trying to work to get on his feet. Anyway, while there, he began to write and design cards and put them in an old shoebox under his bed. Thus, they became known as "Shoebox Greetings". Isn't that interesting? I always wondered what that meant whenever I'd see it. And, as his 'shoebox greetings' grew, he formed the Hallmark Corporation and the 'rest is history'. But, it all started at the Y! And, now Hallmark is a major donor to the YMCA! :) I just found that so interesting! :)

And while I was gone.......

My guys had a great day together hanging out and they even went to Fazolis for lunch -- the Banderman boys' favorite place! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a thrill - to once again be around people and show off your talents as well as use them. You will do good at this and we are happy you are looking forward to this new position.