Sunday, March 16, 2008

Special Treat

This weekend was a special treat for me:

There is a gal that I've met online, Yvonne. I still can't quite remember how I met her....ya know....a click here, click there, and voila -- somehow I ended up on her blog and just started reading. (http://www.yvonneparks.com/)

As I began reading and 'getting to know' her, it was so many times as if I was reading my own heart. So, I commented on her blog and we slowly have gotten to know each other a bit more. We have come to realize that we are so much alike! She lives in Canada and moved from Winnipeg to Ottawa about the same time we moved from Iowa to Kansas City. So, we had so many similiar feelings and struggles with leaving all our family and friends and having to learn how to embrace our new surroundings and such. She's lost a lot of weight, too, so we had similiar backgrounds that way. She and her husband have been married just 1 year less than us. They have two girls, we have two boys. Etc. It's been so amazing to get to meet someone in another country that is so similiar! :) (Although she told me today to 'suck it up, Princess and get over it' that I'm only 4 hours from friends and family, because she's a whole 24 hours! LOL Secret)

Well, come to find out, they have been to IHOP several times and Yvonne even has her very own CD in the IHOP bookstore -- which I didn't know about! So, she contacts me and said that they were coming to KC and would like to actually meet each other for coffee. I was so excited!

So, on Friday we met at IHOP for coffee for a couple hours! It was so awesome to get to finally meet her and see her in person! And, I got to meet her husband and some other of their friends. She is amazingly funny and real, which I love! Her and her husband are both so genuine and 'what you see is what you get' which I love! It was so great to meet a friend for coffee and laugh! I have missed that since the move! They laughed at me because I so expected them to have an accent, and was shocked when they didn't really and said they were 'normal'! lol Although she said I totally have a 'midwestern accent' -- whatever that means! lol

We got to see them again today, briefly, at church. I was sad to see them go. I wish they lived here!!!! :( They said they might come back in the summer and we'll hopefully have time to actually hang out more! We 'connected' and I felt like we'd known each other for ever! :) I truly do hope they get to come back soon and we can get to know them even more!

I'm so thankful for the opportunity to meet them and look forward to the next time! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Internet friends rock!! I recently got to meet my internet buddy for the first time and we've been friends for 6 years! :D I'm so happy you got to meet your friend too! :D

Dena said...

That is so funny that you read her blog. I have been reading it for a couple of months or so. LOL
Love ya.

Yvonne Parks said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It was SO MUCH FUN meeting you!!! We will DEFINITELY come and hang out again!!

We just got home today....bad weather caused our quick 22 hour trip to stretch out to 3 days. HOwever, we did get to stop at an outlet mall, so praise God for that. hahaha.

I'm home, catching up on email, reading blogs, and about to update mine!

Talk soooon!
Yvonne

ps...you posted my website link, not my bloglink. (just in case people were confused)