Well, I had an interesting experience that probably isn't a big deal to many and I know my husband goes through it every three months, but it was quite the experience for me.
For a long time now I have struggled with 'hormonal issues', and I finally came to a point where I realized that now is the time for me to deal with this. It has steadily gotten worse the past year and I have been busy and haven't made myself a priority, in this regard. So.......
Yesterday I met with a doctor and she ordered all sorts of tests, she said they'd leave no 'stone unturned' to try to figure out all the symptoms I've been having. One included me fasting for 12 hours and coming in this morning to have blood drawn. Fine, no big deal, right?
Well, here I am at 7am driving to Olathe and there was TONS OF TRAFFIC! I couldn't believe that many people were up and about at that time of day! LOL I wasn't feeling the greatest by then, either, because I was so hungry! I can't remember the last time I went 12 hours without eating, and it wasn't like I'd eaten a bunch of food last night anyway! LOL
I got into the doctor's office and head to the labs and the nurse starts pulling out this HUGE needle and ALL these tubes! So, I'm questioning her every move! She assures me that she only has to do ONE stick, but that she needs like 6 tubes of blood! What??????????????? Can, I just say that I hate needles and blood! LOL
I turn my head as she sticks the needle in (OUCH!) and try to read the comics that are plastered all over the wall next to me.......hmmmm, others must not like this chair either! And, she's talking nonstop and obviously trying to not make me think about what she's doing. Then she's trying to change out the tubes and at one point, she can't find the tube on the counter, so she's feeling with one hand and trying to keep the needle steady in my arm in the other.
By this time, my head is beginning to swirl and I'm feeling lightheaded and tingly. She kept asking me if I was ok as I'm sure I was growing pale! Overall, I was ok, but then I felt nauseous and if she wouldn't be done soon I'd be throwing up or fainting! I think she got nervous and she quickly got done and wouldn't let me get up right away.
But, soon I 'came back to earth' and she let me stand up and questioned me several times if I was truly ok and then let me go.
I was sooooooooo ready to get out of there! Yes, I'm a wimp! LOL Somehow, amidst even more traffic I made it home....................and ate some breakfast and had a good, tall cup of coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YIKES! Anyone else ever had a fasting blood draw? That's crazy! I'm going to be even more sympathetic to Steve when he has to have his done now! It made me feel quite woozy and I wasn't sure if I'd faint or throw up! LOL But, thankfully I did neither and made it home...........now, we wait for the results!
2 comments:
You know I don't like needles either but we do this annually.
I also look the other way but it
is amazing the test results they
show when you get the printout.
Glad you are getting checked out.
M
ahhhh..yes..the blood stick..i do mine every 3 months as well. they usually do 3 but when im getting a cholesterol analysis they do 4. i kind of enjoy it. i like to watch them make the actual stick and theyre so surprised when i dont show any reaction to the needle. but they always give me compliments for having really good veins. im glad u made it home okay!
Post a Comment