So, I put my mind to it this morning. Things are much more complicated here in Kansas, though! Steve and I had already been there once when we got our licenses; however, we didn't have all the needed documentation, so today I made sure I had everything (or so I thought!). So, I leave about 9:45 and head down to he license place -- about 20-30 minutes away, depending on traffic. Went pretty smoothly and I got there, got my ticket, and waited. When the screen showed my number, I went up there and found out that I had to have an inspection first. So, she tells me to go out the parking lot, turn left, etc.....and hands me a piece of paper with directions to the inspection office. Fine...

I go out the parking lot and turn left, only to keep driving and end up on 69 Highway! Ugh -- how'd that happen? So, I drive back to where I was at, trying to figure out the directions -- I'd done everything right...so, what had happened? And then I see it -- the MAIN entrance! Here we'd been using the side entrance, which is what I figured everyone used -- I didn't know there was a different exit, and there were cars and trees so I had missed it! So, I find the 'real' entrance/exit and voila -- the directions worked! lol
So, I get to the inspections office, not sure what to expect. The guy is nice, but not friendly and says, "Go back outside to your car and open the hood all the way." I smile and say, "ok", but inside I'm mortified -- I have NO idea how to open the hood! But, I have watched Steve before, so I'm frantically trying to remember how he did it! lol I look inside, under the steering column and find a picture on a lever that looks like the hood and I heard it pop, but not go up -- uh oh. Oh yeah, I remember Steve pushing some lever. So, I get out of the car and go to the hood as Mr. All-Business comes out and I laugh, as my face turns read, saying, "Well, actually I've never opened the hood before, and I'm not really sure how to do it!" and smiled, hoping he'd be a gentleman and open it for me. But -- not so much. He probably thought I was the dumbest blonde he's ever met and says, "Well....you're from Iowa....I'm sure you can figure it out!" and I just rolled my eyes and struggled with the hood until I finally got it to release! Whew! Thank you God! :) (My husband will be getting a lecture on teaching me how to do things for myself! lol)
So, he looks inside the hood, checks the VIN number and the mileage and said it was fine. Great -yes, it is really our car -- nope, it's not stolen. (That's all they're checking for - and they earn $10 in the process! Duh!)
So, then I have to go back to the main DMV place. Wait in line and get to the counter only to find I've gotten one of the rudest ladies. And she informs me that I CANNOT register in Kansas because the vehicle isn't in my name and either Steve has to come or I have to get him to sign me "Power of Attorney" -- you've got to be kidding! I laughed and said, "What? I never had to do that in Iowa...I always took care of things. He's never done it." I was trying really hard to be nice -- she WAS NOT! :( She looks at me, "Well, I have NO idea how other states do it, but here you NEED a Power of Attorney, Ma'am!" Fine...
She gives me the papers and I call Steve on the cellphone and tell him I'm coming to his job site to have him sign the papers. We then remembered that when we bought the car he went by himself to pick it up, so it was put in just his name. Sigh....so, I am now driving down to UMKC........sigh.......well, I'm definitely becoming more comfortable with city driving, that's for sure!
Get to Steve's work, have him sign the papers, and I head back to the DMV. Same - not-so-nice lady...unfortunately...
She looks at the paperwork and sighs loudly -- "NO! This is NOT what I told you! Steve has to sign on the back, not you!" I apologize profusely as I thought I'd done it right. She'd marked so many areas to sign and I thought I'd signed in the proper spot to add me to the title. But, no -- I'd messed up. Sigh. So, she is upset and goes into the back and leaves me there alone, to stare at the wall...........I'm silently praying God will work it out because I really just want to go home by this time!
She comes back and is like, "Ok, well now here's what we have to do.......sigh.......sigh........sigh." I'm wondering by this point what is wrong in her life that she's so rude! So, I begin praying for her because she did not have to handle this so poorly! :(
Anyway -- after signing many other spots, and her standing directly over me, pointing out each line, and reading each name slowly, to make sure I didn't mess up her life anymore -- she finally hands me the pages and leaves -- must have been her lunch time! I pray God ministers to her somehow today! Yikes!
So.........it only took me 3 hours to do everything, but hey -- we are now 'officially' Kansans, with a license plate to prove it! (oh yeah, another crazy thing about Kansas -- it costs $10 more to register here; however, you only get one license plate instead of the two we got in Iowa -- kinda a 'raw' deal, don't ya' think?! lol)
Oh well....at least that's done! Now I know why I put it off so long! lol
5 comments:
Oh man, I feel for you!! We had it SO easy back at the Iowa DOT!
Here we have to do exhaust tests where you pull up to a garage and they hook up something to the place where you put in gas and then they test something---emissions I think! Of course, a week before I took my van in for the test, the engine light came on and I FAILED the test! I was SO insanely mortified!!
$300 later, I passed, but still... I was SO embarrassed!
Oh my goodness. Why does stuff like that have to be sooooooo hard!
I'm glad you survived, but I'm sure you can think of 100 other things you could have done today!
awwwww..u poor thing. i could have told you about the inspection area. unfortunately, i believe the DMV employees are trained to be rude. when i went i always prayed for favor and it never failed i would get the most pleasant people to wait on me and i would have them laughing by the time i left and they would be asking me what else they could do. or telling me about their families or kids or their church or little anecdotes about the post office (it helps to wear a mailman uniform)
so although it wasnt one of my favorite things to go to the DMV it was definitely a positive experience and i love the way you handled it on how you could minister to the rude woman. kudos.
We laughed and laughed-been there and done that! however, hearing you tell it was more more funny than the experience. We are sure that Mr. Businessman and Ms. Rude went on their merryway and you were a true champion in this endeavor.Glad its over for you.Way to go, Debra!!!!
M
Post a Comment