Monday, November 12, 2007

"Our Anniversary"

Lipstick

Today is our "Anniversary", well not our wedding anniversary (that's in June!), but this is our DATING ANNIVERSARY! Yes, tis true -- SIXTEEN years ago we had our first date at Taco Bell in Ames, Iowa. I was only 18 and Steve was 20. And, every year since, we've always 'celebrated' November 12 as the 'beginning' of our relationship. It's fun to do something 1/2 way through the year and not just on our actual wedding anniversary. All weekend we talked to the boys and told them about how we met and started dating and getting engaged. It was so much fun to re-live it all! The boys thought we were a bit 'goofy', but then this morning, guess what they did? They woke me up with BREAKFAST IN BED! LOL Steve was long gone, but they decided that for our 'anniversary', I needed to start my day with breakfast in bed -- 2 pieces of toast w/butter & jelly and some eggs with LOTS AND LOTS of pepper! LOL An 'interesting' breakast, but I thought it was super sweet of them to do that!

And, as I sit here today, I am overwhelmed with thankfulness to God that he brought Steve and I together 16 years ago. So, I decided to make a list here and 'brag' on my husband just a bit. So, that was your 'caution' -- yes, this is a sappy, sweet post about my husband. Here are 16 reasons why I love him so much, and in no particular order:

1. He's very handsome! I love it that he takes great care of himself. Having diabetes is not easy, at all, and one of the worst things for him to have to deal with. I see all he goes through with the pump and daily checking his blood sugars, doctors visits, etc., and yet he perseveres and does the best he can to take care of himself. He doesn't just 'let himself go', but he takes care of himself physically and even shaved off his gotee/beard for me so it wouldn't hurt so much to kiss him! :) I love how handsome he is! :)

2. He makes me laugh! No matter the mood I'm in, I can always count on Steve to make me laugh. He'll tell some totally dumb story or make this one face and I will be laughing soon, no matter how hard I try not to! He can always make me smile.

3. He is one of the most selfless people I know! He will give and give of himself way above and beyond! And, he'll ALWAYS offer to rub my back, or help me out, regardless of whether or not he's tired.

4. He is such a hard worker and great provider! Anyone that knows my husband, knows he is not at all a lazy man. He has a great work ethic and does what it takes to provide for our family. I so appreciate his hard work and all he does to be such a great provider.

5. His heart for God! Steve is passionate about seeking the Lord and growing in Him. He's not content to just 'settle' for where he is or what he knows, but he is constantly wanting to keep growing in His relationship with the Lord.

6. His desire to study. This goes with #5, but I love it that he wants to study. I am NOT a study type person, but Steve loves to get into all the Greek/Hebrew-type stuff, and he is an amazing resource for me! LOL I love to listen to all he finds out, but just don't enjoy doing it myself, so I love it that he does!

7. He loves me in my weaknesses! Steve has seen me at my worst and seen me at my best. He has been not only a wonderful husband, but a faithful friend. He has shown me true love, the Father-heart of God, in my worst moments. When I didn't have the 'fight' to go on, He was my greatest encourager and has continued to teach me so much about God's unconditional love.

8. Along with #7, He loves me in my 'terrible cooking' moments! LOL The poor guy has been faced with more 'cooking disasters' in our home than he should have had to endure. And, yet he never gets angry or frustrated, but just laughs and has taught me how to laugh at myself. Then, he either offers to make a 'replacement meal' or order pizza! :) I love it that he doesn't expect me to be Betty Crocker, and yet he cheers me on when things do turn out and we celebrate those moments!!

9. Along with #7 again, He loves me even though my personality doesn't lend it to being very organized. Steve is a very organized person and we are totally different. At times, yes, it can irritate him if we need some important piece of paper and can't find it -- and I'm working on that! -- but, he has amazing patience and is so gentle and kind and once again, has taught me to laugh at my weaknesses and to work on them, but doesn't guilt-trip me or make me feel such shame at my weaknesses.

10. He is a wonderful father! We have two boys that adore their Dad. Even when he's so tired from work, and would just love to take a nap, he will play with them or include them, or just talk to them. He is after their hearts and I love watching him with them.

11. He is loyal and trustworthy! I know that I can trust him with the deepest places of my heart. I know that the deepest parts of me, he holds close to his heart and will not leak them to others. He doesn't parade my faults, but honors me with others. We can laugh together about our weaknesses and mistakes, but he is a loyal husband who is faithful to honor me when I'm not with him.

12. His smile! I love, love, love it that when I walk into a room, or when we see each other, he gets a huge smile on his face and his eyes sparkle! I love it that after 16 years together, he's still excited to see me when I walk in the room! He makes me feel like the most important person in the world!

13. He is my biggest fan! Steve is my greatest encourager! No matter what I go through or walk through, he is there to cheer me on. He wants me to pursue my dreams, to go for all that God's put in my heart. When I stumble, or get discouraged, he's right there to cheer me on! Even when I was really overweight, he always believed in me and cheered me on! He saw past my 'outer shell' to the core of who I was and cheered on the 'real me'.

14. He's my best, best, best friend in the whole world! I love it that not only are we husband/wife, but we are truly best friends. We share everything together and love just 'being' together and hanging out, laughing, sharing, having a good time. I love it that we enjoy each other!

15. He is not afraid to open his heart. I love it that he is real and vulnerable and not afraid to be 'real'. He doesn't have to be 'macho' or try to put on an act, but he is human, real, vulnerable, and isn't afraid to let me see him cry or to be 'weak' with me.

16. He cares more about my heart than anything else. He is such a protector of my heart. He cares so deeply about what's going on inside of me. He will listen for hours, intently concerned with that which is on my heart. He encourages me to live from my heart, and not just do what the 'world' says I should do or be, but he wants me to follow my heart, and be true to myself and true to God. When I went to Cuba, he was my greatest encourager, when others questioned me leaving my family or whatever, He knew my heart and he challenged me to live from my heart alone, even if I'd be 'misunderstood'. It means so very much to me that He fans into flame that which God has put in my heart.

There is soooooooooooo much Icould write about this amazing man that I have the privilege of calling my husband! I am so blessed to be honored with him! Is he perfect? No, of course not. He's human! But, he is perfect FOR ME! We are completely opposite, and yet God knew how perfectly we'd fit together. I stand in awe of how He brought us together and am so thankful for the honor of being Steve's wife!

So, today we celebrate 16 years together -- and we might just go out to Taco Bell for supper! LOL

4 comments:

dbanderman said...

well im not sure about all of that. hahaha..but he always was a great brother growing up and still today.

Anonymous said...

You have such a wonderful heartful of praise and thanks and that is the reason God has allowed this bucket to get so full and overflowing. Thanks so much for sharing, congrats on the past 16 and look forward to the next 16(along with Steven's testimony).
M

Dena said...

aaaww...see I keep saying Chelsea is just like you. She and Clint had their 1st anniv of when they started going out. Guess when it was...Nov 12th. Not kidding! LOL

Congrats to you and Steve. Although I can't believe it's been that long. Man oh man, your sister is getting old! :P

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

what wonderful words about your husband. Happy Belated Anniversary!
In Christ,
mom2boys