Tuesday, October 2, 2007

So frustrating!

I read this article: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1365/is_2_32/ai_77482609 and it made me so angry and frustrated!!!! I can understand their 'point' on one hand; however, from someone who's struggled with their weight and has had 'issues' with McDonald's and then having trained many other women who struggled the same -- what is this church thinking? God desires that we present our bodies to Him as temples of the Holy Spirit -- they have a gymnasium and an aerobics studio -- so why in the world do they have food that is laden with trans fats on the same property? So, people go workout and then go get a Big Mac? Ugh! So frustrating!!

3 comments:

Yvonne Parks said...

I see your point.

I'm on both sides...because I struggle with weight, but I also call McD's my "favorite food".

First....Mcd's DOES have healthy choices, and it's up to people to make smart decisions. And hey...you can have a BigMac once in a while. (I do McD's once a week, but on that day keep my other meals very light and low cal)

But this is sort of like opening a liquor store on a church property. Food addictions are RAMPANT in the church because they are socially acceptable. I'd say that food issues in Christians are equal to Pornography issues in men. (But they are going completely unchecked and unchallenged by the church. You can be obese without consequence, even though you are as addicted as a heroin user!)

So I'm torn. If we outlaw McD's on church grounds, we certainly should ban internet (the number one source of pornograhpy for men). But then are we teaching restraint? I’m stumped.

Should it be up to us to make the moral and Godly decision, or should we be instigating rules that keep us from even being tempted?

Anonymous said...

Hmm... I don't know. Looking at the sheer size of the church and all the ministries they offer---they're obviously doing something right as far as reaching people for Christ.

100% of the restaurants profits go to the church AND they plan to staff it w/people from the church. Wow...what an amazing outreach! The guy's other McD's bring in more than 300K per year--you can reach a LOT of people with that amount of money for ministry!

I agree that a McDonald's isn't the healthiest restaurant out there but it's kind of a novel idea and I'm kind of intrigued by it. I'm not totally sure how I feel.....

Dena said...

It wouldn't be a good thing for me at all if our church had that. I just know I would get into the habit of "we're running behind getting ready for church, but it's ok, we can just grab some breakfast when we get there." And on Wednesdays when Austin has confirmation after sports practice, I could see the convenience of just giving him money to get something there instead of fixing something that would probably be much healthier. It's hard enough for me to say no when our church has donuts or bars during the after service fellowship...let alone if a hot batch of fries was sitting there. LOL