Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Emotions

Wow -- this week has been quite emotional for us!

For Steve -- I think he's reached the highest stress level since being here! He's got about 1 1/2 weeks left on the animal shelter and he can't wait! He really got 'thrown into' that job and it has been a nightmare. Way more responsibility and stress than he could have imagined. He's so ready to be done with it and be at UMKC with the rest of the guys. One of the owners from West Des Moines was down here yesterday, though, and really praised Steve and how we'll he's done with 'stepping up to the plate' on this project when they needed him to. I love it when he gets the recognition and encouragement he so deserves! I, too, think he's done a wonderful job. It's been way more responsibility and stress than he asked for, but especially considering that we moved and he's been dealing with a new house, and the emotional well being of his wife and sons -- he's done an amazing job of juggling it all! I'm so proud of my hubby! But, he's definitely ready for it to be done.

Plus, he's working a lot right now to get ready to re-roof our roof this upcoming weekend. We have about 4-5 guys coming to help in Saturday, too, but there's a lot of prepwork to get ready. Steve's all about 'details' and being organized and he wants it to go smoothly -- but, thus far it's gone anything but smoothly. One of his biggest frustrations is that things are done so differently here. The lumberyards are so different and he can't seem to get anyone that knows anything! He has talked to all sorts of different people at both Lowes and Home Depot and just can't seem to get any competent people to help him! Plus, one of his main frustrations right now is that he can't seem to find any laddervators down here -- to get the shingles roof topped. Both Lowes and Home Depot want to charge an enormous amount to rooftop/deliver the shingles -- so Steve refuses to pay it, and is trying to figure out his own options. But, he's quickly finding out that things just don't work the same here and he is having difficulties finding what he needs!

Then, the poor guy -- last night he took his truck to Home Depot to get the plywood and on the way home -- a whole bundle fell out of the truck and into the middle of a major street! Yikes! Thankfully, he had a really nice guy stop and help him pick part of it up and put it back into the truck and the other part onto the side of the street until his brother Mark could come and haul some of it, too. But, it really banged up his truck tailgate kinda badly. He was so bummed and stressed last night and said he can't wait till a)this roof is done and b)this animal shelter job is done!

As for me......

I started a new gym this week. Monday was quite rough. I walked into this enormous gym and just felt so out of place. Nothing looked 'normal' and there was so much new equipment that I'd never seen before and of course, I knew no one. I lasted all of 45 minutes and then made my way out to my car. Before I even reached the car, I was reduced to tears and sobbed the entire way home.......I just miss Fitness World West so very much! I miss working out with my trainer. I miss all my friends that made workouts so much better! I miss not feeling 'comfortable' and knowing where to go or what to do. It was soooooooooo difficult. My heart ached to be back there. FWW was more than just a 'gym' to me, but it was such a place of healing where God did so much in my life. I loved it there and had such wonderful relationships. I'd been there for 3 1/2 years, and went almost 5 days a week for that entire time. So, to not have that any more has been a huge, huge change.

But.......yesterday, I had a decision to make -- I could either stay home and cry (which was tempting!) or I could make my way back to the gym and try again. I knew that if I stayed home, it would only get harder and I needed to face this and just do it. So, I went back.

This time, I went in the middle of the afternoon when I knew it'd be 'quieter' and not as many people. Thankfully, it was pretty 'dead'! LOL Thus, I had the 'freedom' to figure my way around there more. It was better. I actually found the free weight section and did a pretty good workout. It still doesn't feel 'normal', but hey -- I made it out of there without crying, so that was an improvement! :-) I know it'll just take awhile, so I am trying to give myself grace in this process.

Today I'm supposed to meet with one of the trainers. For all new members they have a 'jumpstart orientation', for which I'm thankful. I talked to her on the phone yesterday and she seemed nice and asked a lot of questions about me and was really helpful. She's a part-time trainer with a baby at home. She told me a lot about the club and about what certifications she has, etc. and encouraged me to meet with the head trainer if I'd ever like to work there. We'll see...

The funny thing is that she told me where to meet her and then she says, "Oh you'll recognize me...I have a nose ring and a lip ring. So, just look for the nose and lip -- I'm the only one with them." LOL -- hmmm....sounds interesting!

And then.....

To top off the emotions....my dear friend, Kathie, was unable to come this week! :( I'd so been looking forward to having her here. She'd told me to 'save all my tears' for when she came and we'd have a good long chat -- while she helped me figure out how to decorate this home! :) BUT.......unfortunately she hurt her back last week and it just was not possible for her to get in the car and drive 4 hours. I was so bummed. I totally understand and want her to take care of herself! But, I was so looking forward to time with her and to having a 'face of home' here. So, it's quite the 'letdown'. Bummer. Hopefully she'll get better quickly, though and one of these weeks we can finally hook up again.

On the 'upside' -- another friend, Mary, is coming next week Tues. - Thurs. and then my parents, and possibly grandma, are coming in Fri-Sun. So, next week will be wonderful in getting to have visitors from home! Yipeeeeee! :)

No comments: